CM performs groundbreaking of Thar coal mining, power project

Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Karachi †Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah performed the groundbreaking ceremony of the Thar Coal Mining and Power Project at the Chief Ministerís House on Thursday.

The provincial governmentís share in the project will be 51 percent, while the remaining 49 percent will be owned by the Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company.

The project is aimed at developing a coalmine with a production capacity of 6.5 million tons per year. A 300-megawatt power plant will be built in the first phase.

The company also plans to supply coal to power plants of GENCO in Jamshoro. The project will cost $1.35 billion and is expected to be completed in three and a half years.

The chief minister also launched several infrastructure schemes, including the groundbreaking of the Thar Airport in Islamkot, which would be big enough to cater for Boeing 737 and medium-range aircraft, the groundbreaking of two projects for improving and widening roads for the transportation of heave mining machinery to the Thar coalfield, the inauguration of the Thar Lodge in Islamkot (a 20-bed world class accommodation to facilitate investors in Thar), inauguration of 61 reverse osmosis plants covering a population of 637,000 in Thatta, Badin, in Thar and Umerkot.

Courtesy: †The News

Forex open Market rates & comments Archive

Login Form